, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Elite (Eagle Elite #1) by Rachel Van Dyken | Review

10:45:00 PM

Pages: 322
Publication Date: April 16th 2013 (first published April 14th 2013)
Publisher: CreateSpace
ISBN: 1484125460 (ISBN13: 9781484125465)

*This is a New Adult Book, blood, violence, cursing, sexual references, and drug use. Not recommended for those under 17.*

When I won the annual Eagle Elite College Scholarship lottery, I was thrilled. After all, my grandma had just died and I wanted to take care of my aging grandpa -- he couldn't be a farmer in Wyoming forever. And graduating from Eagle Elite meant opportunity.

But I wasn't counting on meeting Nixon.

Nor was I counting on the rules of the Elect.

1. Do not touch The Elect.
2. Do not look at The Elect.
3. Do not speak to The Elect.

And worst of all? Don't discover the secret they hide, because in the end, you may just realize... it's about you.

Now, What I thought:

The concept of this book is pretty dull. I mean, it's typical high school drama with an added twist. To put it into perspective, this resembles a lot of the books you'd find on Wattpad. The drama was good though and it was a very quick read (1 day to be exact). It was a fun and easy distraction from the heavy reads I've recently picked up so besides the stereo-typicalness of it all, it was ok. 

Our protagonist, Trace, is really infuriating. I wanted to punch, maim and kill her several times in the book. She was whiny, sad, always crying and had no confidence. Besides that, her story moves pretty quickly, which I thanked God for. We went from 0-100 real quick in this and it suited the story. There is swearing, violence (yuck), and sexual references in this book so just beware of that; Dyken does not hold back when it comes to what these guys and girls think in their heads. 

Nixon is the typical too hot for school type jackass. I didn't like Nixon one bit in the beginning, and I still don't now. He's an asshole, as simple as that. Dyken tries to change him and make him a 'good' guy like some authors do, but I just really did not like him either way. I mean, the 3 rules??????? Do not touch, look or speak at the Elect (Nixon and his little gang) COME ON. That really infuriated me and how Trace would just go crying about them being so mean and how she would just take the abuse. Hello, you're all in college, grow a pair or just grow up and don't take stupid shit from these people. 

While I'm saying a lot of negative things about the novel, I will admit it was entertaining. It was definitely something I just read on a whim and because it had that 'look' of just absolute funny ridiculousness. And I was right by the way. It was exactly that, ridiculous and way out of context drama. We do get some surprises in this book. I did see some stuff coming but I think Dyken wrote it so we could?? I hope. The plot does thicken a tiny bit toward the end when we get the truth but definitely don't count on this book to be a deep read.

I'm going to end this review on some dialogue from this book just to prove how ridiculous this was to read, yet extremely entertaining and funny:

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!” I closed my eyes. This had to be a dream. This couldn’t be real! “I’m going to die a virgin!” I blurted and then began to truly hyperventilate. 
“What?” Nixon shouted. 
“A virgin,” I repeated as I greedily tried to suck more air into my lungs. “I’m going to die a virgin! I’m going to die without ever going overseas! I’ve never even been nak*d in front of a man before! Oh my gosh! I’m never going to have kids! What if I want kids? What if—” 
“Trace…” Nixon tried to interrupt me, but it was like I was watching my body freak out and couldn’t stop talking. 
“Nixon, you have to promise me that if we live through this — and that’s a giant if, considering we’re literally trapped between two death machines — you have to take my virginity. Take it!” 
“Trace, I don’t think this is the time to—”

“Promise!”



You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.